How do I get paid?
The guest pays Rentacle by credit card or PayPal a 10% initial deposit to confirm the booking. The remaining 90% will get paid directly to the property owner upon arrival generally in cash.
When do I receive contact details?
As soon as a reservation is accepted and the guest has paid the initial 10% deposit, the e-mail address and phone numbers of both parties will be provided to each other.
Can I exchange my contact details before a reservation is made?
No, Rentacle allows property owners and guests to negotiate the price and clarify any questions regarding the rental before a booking is confirmed. However it is not allowed to exchange e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, websites, etc until a booking has been confirmed.
How much does it cost to advertise my property?
If you are a homeowner placing an ad at Rentacle.com is totally free. No reservations = no costs.
Do I need to keep your availability calendar constantly updated?
No. The calendar is a useful tool, however we understand that is difficult to keep it constantly updated. For that reason, you will receive email notifications everytime there is a booking request for your property and you will be able to accept or deny each request individually depending on your latest availability.